Delicious Grilled Artichokes
Updated: Aug 7, 2019
The grill is also for vegetables. With only a few steps, you can have grilled artichokes for your family and guests. It's something that's unusual but once you realize how easy it is, you'll make them all the time.
Artichokes are a great spring time vegetable. Most of the time people use the jarred artichoke hearts. They are convenient and tasty but there's no comparison to fresh grilled artichokes. I first tried grilled artichokes working as a waitress. This restaurant served grilled artichokes with garlic aioli. Aioli is a garlic seasoned mayo. So, of course, it's delicious.
Eating a whole artichoke take a little bit of patience. You want to make sure that the prickly points are cut off. If not, you'll get a lot of little stings that will ruin your experience. When eating artichokes there is a lot of inedible parts. There's a little bit of "meat" in each of the leaves. When the artichokes are tender you can pull away the leaves easily. It's a fun food that even kids will enjoy because you get to eat with your hands and dip into a sauce. Don't forget to add a bowl to the table to collect the trash.
To make your grilled artichokes, first boil them so that they will be tender. Then finish them on the grill to intensify the flavors. And who doesn't like grilled foods... including vegetables? Prep the artichokes by snipping the sharp points off the leaves and split the artichokes in half along the steam.
In a large pot, add water, juice of 1 lemon, and some salt. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the artichoke and continue to simmer. Simmer until tender, about 30 minutes. You'll know the artichokes are done when a fork easily pierces the artichokes.
Drain the artichokes and allow to cool slightly. Drizzle the cut side of the artichoke with olive oil, salt, pepper, and more fresh lemon juice. Place the cut side of the artichokes on a preheated grill over direct heat. Grill for 4 - 5 minutes. Remove from the grill. Serve with aioli. Recipe below.
Grilled Artichokes with Spicy Aioli
Salt, Pepper, to taste
1. Prep your artichokes by snipping the sharp parts of the leaves off and splitting the artichokes in half along the stems.
2. Boil water, lemon juice, and salt in a large pot. Add enough water that will cover the artichokes.
3. Once boiling, add the artichokes. Reduce the heat to a simmer and continue to cook for 30 minutes or until the artichokes are fork tender.
4. Drain the artichokes from the water. Allow to cool.
5. Drizzle olive oil on the cut side of the artichoke. Season with salt and pepper and a little fresh lemon juice.
6. Grill the artichokes (cut side down) on a pre-heated grill for 4 - 5 minutes until grill marks appear.
7. Serve with spicy aioli.
Spicy Aioli Recipe
1/2 Cup of Mayo
1 tsp Garlic, minced
1/2 tsp Sirarcha (more or less to taste)
1 tsp Lemon Juice
Mix all the ingredients together. Can be made ahead up to 48 hours.
Leave comments and post your pictures.