- Bettina Applewhite
Simply Prepared Pork Shoulder with Horseradish Cream Sauce
Updated: Apr 11, 2021
I stumbled upon this recipe when I had more pork shoulder than I needed and wanted to do something simple with it. I thought it would be a good base for other things like tacos or pulled pork or something like that. Instead I found a recipe that I make over and over again because it's so easy. Isn't it great when accidents turn into something amazing?
This is great for family gatherings because you can make so much of it rather simply and without a lot of fussiness. You can roast it on the grill or in the oven and almost forget about it. It tastes great! While your star centerpiece is cooking, you can be catching up with friends and family. Memories are made around food but it's only the food that brings everyone together. It's the conversation and fun that creates the memories.
Juneteenth is an American holiday that celebrates the day that slaves were told that they were then freed from oppression. The hit show Black-ish had an entire episode explaining Juneteenth. You can find a clip in the video below.
Just like with most holidays, you can celebrate by gathering around family. The Applewhites have yearly reunions. Now my Southern uncles like to cook BBQ spareribs or babyback ribs. And they are the best around so until I get to "Uncle" level I'll stick with contributing my pork shoulder.
The best memories are overhearing the stories as a little girl (trying my best to be in grown folk business). It's great seeing the smiles on everyone's faces. The laughs and love shared between people is what we use food as an excuse to gather people.
This recipe is super-duper simple. It's pork shoulder, a ton of garlic, and a hearty handful of salt and pepper. Really that's it. The horseradish cream is fresh horseradish, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and sour cream. It's a mix and sit kind of situation. And I'm all for yummy, bold flavors with very little effort.
This recipe is great for anytime of the year. It's comforting in the winter and uplifting in the summer. It's #ketofriendly because pork shoulder has a high fat content or it's a great treat for other diets too.
Simply Prepared Roast Pork Shoulder
Serves A Whole Lotta People
6 lbs Pork Shoulder
4 Tbsp Garlic, Chopped
Hearty Helping of Salt/Pepper
1. Prepare meat for a deep marinade by carefully poking slits in the meat with a small sharp knife. Be sure to put slits into both the fat side and the lean side.
2. Season meat generously with salt and pepper.
3. Rub chopped garlic all over the pork. Make sure to use your fingers to jam some of the garlic in those little slits that you created. Allow your flavors to marinate into the pork by marinating for 8 hours or overnight.
4. When ready to cook your pork shoulder, allow your pork to come to room temperature for 1 hour.
5. Preheat your oven or grill to 325 degrees. Cook your pork shoulder for 2 1/2 - 3 hours until tender. You'll know your shoulder is done when a thermometer in the thickest part of the meat reads 165 degrees. Don't rush. You don't want your meat undercooked. Slice and serve with horseradish cream or use this pork as a foundation for other recipes.
Find Recipe for Horseradish Cream Here