Bourbon & Brown Sugar Salmon
Salmon is such a versatile fish! It's a good thing that it is since it's recommended that you eat 2 servings of fish high in Omega-3 fatty acids a week. This salmon is sweet and delicious and is great for a quick meal. You probably already have all the ingredients in your pantry so you can try it today.
Since I've been consistently working on this blog, one tactic I use to try out recipes is to have a recipe day open house. I work on recipes and have my friends come over and tell me what they think. It's also a good way to keep me focused on working and not get distracted by possibly anything else...
When it was time to play around with the recipe for salmon, I was open for ideas. I have a friend who's really into bourbon so she suggested that I try bourbon with the salmon. She's part of this social group called the Black Bourbon Society #BBS and introduced me to it. It's been an educational experience I will say. I had no idea there were so many different kinds of bourbons out there and there's so many good ones outside of the traditional Bourbon trail in Kentucky. I mean, I've still got to take that trail ride but until I get there, there's a lot of bourbon to taste.
So we decided to make a compound butter with the bourbon and mix it with brown sugar. Doesn't that sound extra delicious already?! A compound butter isn't really that difficult to make. All you need to do is soften butter and add in a mix of flavors. Because we were going to slather this butter over the fish we didn't have to wrap the butter to make it keep form so we could immediately use this butter on the hearty fish. This time we added in a little bit of Maker's Mark bourbon, brown sugar, garlic and some fresh parsley for color. What came out was absolutely amazing! I'm sure you can use this butter on other kinds of fish, vegetables, or meat.
Bourbon Brown Sugar Salmon
6 oz salmon filet
3 Tbsp butter, softened
2 Tbsp bourbon
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp fresh parsley
Salt & Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Season the salmon filet with salt and pepper.
3. In a small bowl, combine butter, bourbon, garlic, brown sugar, and parsley. Mash until all ingredients are evenly dispersed throughout the butter.
4. Spread the flavored butter over both pieces of salmon.
5. Place salmon filet on prepared sheet pan and place in the oven. Cook for 15 minutes or until salmon is cooked through. Enjoy with your favorite sides and a bourbon cocktail.