- Bettina Applewhite
Sheet Pan Fajitas: Two Ways
What's better than fajitas? Fajitas two different ways, of course! These beef and shrimp fajitas are so easy to make because baking them on a sheet pan makes it so easy as a one dish type of meal.
I first started making this steak fajita on the grill because I found it was full of flavor and so delicious. I loved how the smoke from the grill gave the flank steak a depth of flavor. Using chipotle chilis in adobo sauce provides a great smoky flavor to the marinade. That element makes these fajitas just as delicious.
When I don't feel like breaking out the grill, these sheet pan fajitas are just what I need. They are just as flavorful and easier to make since the oven is a lot more predictable than the grill. Flank steak is lean and fibrous. It's important that you cut your flank steak against the grain to make sure it's tender. It doesn't matter how perfectly you cook the steak. If you cut it in the same direction as the fibers of the muscles, it will be chewy and tough.
Shrimp will soak in the marinade quickly so it doesn't need as long to set in the marinade to get all that great flavor. All you need is a 20 - 30 minute marinade and your shrimp is ready to pop into the oven.
Both options are great. It's all based on your taste preferences. Try them both. Combine the proteins for an extra special treat.
Sheetpan Chipotle Steak or Shrimp Fajitas
Serves 4 - 6
Ingredients for Marinade
Juice of 1 Orange
Juice of 2 Limes
3 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Garlic, minced
3 Chipotle peppers, in adobo sauce
1 tsp Adobo sauce
2 Tbsp Cilantro, chopped
1 1/2 tsp Cumin
2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
Dash of black pepper
1 tsp Salt
3 Bell Peppers, one of each color, sliced
1 Medium onion, sliced
Juice of 1 Lime
1 - 2 Tbsp Olive oil
Salt & Pepper
1 1/2 lb Flank steak or
1 lb Shrimp, peeled & deveined
1. To make the the marinade, blend the juice of 1 orange and 2 limes, olive oil, garlic, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, cilantro, cumin, brown sugar and pepper in a blender until it is a smooth consistency.
2. Place flank steak or shrimp into a resealable plastic bag. Add marinade and massage marinade all over steak or shrimp. Allow steak to marinate in refrigerator 2 - 4 hours. If using shrimp, marinade the shrimp for 20 - 30 minutes and then proceed.
3. Bring steak out of refrigeration about an hour before cooking to allow to get to room temperature. Remove excess marinade and season steak or shrimp with 1 tsp salt.
4. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
5. Place sliced onions and peppers in a large bowl. Drizzle 1 - 2 Tbsp of olive oil over peppers and onions and season with salt and pepper. Squeeze the juice of 1 lime over vegetables.
6. Place steak or shrimp in one corner of a sheetpan. Add sliced pepper and onions on a and bake for 20 - 25 minutes. Allow steak to rest on a cutting board for 5 minutes before slicing against the grain to serve (See notes above).
7. Serve steak, shrimp, and peppers with warm tortillas, guacamole (find recipe here) and sour cream or as part of a delicious burrito bowl with cauliflower rice and all the fixings. Enjoy!